Sunday, November 17, 2013

051 The Augusta Railway - #1 On30 WISEMAN / YORKE 18' WOOD FLAT CAR W/ STAKE POCKETS

It has been a while since I modeled On30 and I'm glad to be back in it.  What I am discovering is that while I was tinkering with HO, the size on On30 cars shrank!  My fleet is now too long as compared to the newer 18' cars that are available.  So, I guess I need to acquire a few and work with them.


Mail!  I love to get mail.  Believe it or not this little envelope is a kit!  My first 18' car in On30.  I ordered this from Keith Wiseman of Wiseman Model Services at http://www.wisemanmodelservices.com/ over his Ebay store.  Just search for Wiseman Models.  Keith is located at 898 Black's Cross Road, Paris, Kentucky 40361or 859-4848-9573.  His email is kwiseman@pqisp.com.  


The kit is the On30 WISEMAN / YORKE 18' WOOD FLAT CAR W/ STAKE POCKETS.  Thomas Yorke is a friend of mine in Atlanta and a very talented designer of kits.  I ordered the car on 11/12 and received it on 11/14, which is great considering I live in Utah.  The kit was adequately packaged. An email was sent to Keith to ask which couplers I should use on this, but I didn't get a response.  The kit cost $24.95 which I thought was fair considering it has trucks included.  The shipping was $5.00, but since the stamp was $2.07 I thought it was a bit high.


The kit comes in a resealable bag.  I'm not crazy about this for resin castings as they can bend and warp.  Would much rather have a box.


The parts consist of resin cast body, metal wheels, and injection molded details.  So far they all look clean and crisp.


The instructions are a bit cryptic to say the least.  He even admits it in writing.  If you haven't built a lot of craftsman type kits before you will probably fail.  Hopefully, we'll finish the kit here and you can see step by step how to finish it.

Opening the packaging I can see two clean and detailed flat car parts; a frame and top side.  The trucks are in in kit form in a separate bag, and the detail parts are in another bag.  There are three loose brass rods for the underside.

Anybody have a coupler recommendation?

Maybe I can get started on this tomorrow...we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!