Friday, April 13, 2012

003 The Utah Night Shift - Benchwork

I'm sorry that I haven't been posting every little thing like normal...but I'm excited about building this layout and just not taking the time.

Click to enlarge

The track plan is almost done.  I'll keep doing some tweaking here and there, but for the most part it is about done.  Comment and critique are welcomed!  Just email scottgperry@comcast.net.

Here is the first table.  It is made with 11/32" sand ply, 1x4 firring boards, 1x2 lumber and drywall screws.  Believe it or not, it is smooth and level.  Odd for me!  The 7.5' span might be a bit much for the four legs, but we'll see.  It is much more sturdy than the design that Lance Mindheim uses.  The table is 20" x 7.5' on the top and very light.

Yeah!  One of three!  I plan to build the other two over the next few days.  Tomorrow I'm going down to get the cement crosstie track.  My new Utah Railway locomotive is almost here as well.  It has lights, sound, DCC....everything.

1 comment:

  1. Scott,

    I noticed that your train table didn't have any diagonal bracing or gussets to keep it from racking. Will it be sturdy enough without them?

    Rick

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!