Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The New Workshop - Part 14

Here's some things that I've learned while setting up the shop.

 #1 Try not to cover up table tops.  You will need these spaces for intermediate sorting and storage.

#2 Clean as you go.  Shop tools and equipment get dust (achoo!) on them and you might as well clean them when you pick them up.

 #3 Prepare for spills and leaks.  Have clean up materials, rags, dust pans and the like ready in case of a mess.
 #4 Try not to move something more than once.  If you can't put it where it goes the first time, at least put it with like objects so that when you do have a place, everything is ready to move.

#5 Properly label everything!  I've learned from working with friends in the shop that something like calcium carbonate can look like plaster.  Um, it doesn't work like plaster!  I use this for mold release compound.  Put a label on it!  ESPECIALLY CHEMICALS!

#6  When you work for long periods in the shop you'll have a beverage with you.  I have a resealable top on my water cup because I've knocked cups over several times and now my socks are wet.

 #7 Keep the walkways clean.  You need to be able to keep traffic areas open so that you can move objects to their proper storage position.  I finally moved all the empty containers out into the hall for the time being.

There!  We got a lot of the second workbench clean.  In the next session (may not be tomorrow as I need to finish Christmas shopping) we'll finish this desk and get the drawers underneath.

Got a question?  Post a comment!

6 comments:

  1. Be prepared with lots of trash cans !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott,
    These are all excellent tips, and I have been following the series with great interest. One thing I'd be interested in at some point - probably in May or June . . . . - is a list or discussion of helpful shop things you have that aren't necessarily sold as modeling supplies. Resourcefulness runs in the family you see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea Phillip. You may want to check out the Yahoo E-group TRAINTOOLS. There are lots of good ideas there. I'll start jotting down a list and we'll revisit this as soon as the shop is back together. Won't be long now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie, who posted above, is my wife. The poor thing has been stepping over trash and train parts for several weeks. She'll probably throw me out. But hey, better in the basement than in a bar...which is where I'd be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best rule for beverage containers-- put a cup/mug holder off to the side, NOT on the work surface. Ideally, it should be -lower- than the work surface so a spill will take advantage of gravity and stay off of the work-in-progress!
    .
    --Paul E Musselman

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! I've been using closed top mugs, but they are a pain and still spill.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!