Sunday, December 12, 2010

The New Workshop - Part 11b

My sweet wife went to Ikea today and bought me three drawer sets.  So tonight's project will be done by the Christmas tree with the help of little Taylor who is five and a half.

 The Ikea drawers are six drawer metal cabinets which are 27 inches high.  Just high enough to get under the workshop desks.  They are a kit in the truest sort of word in that they are just flat pieces of metal that have to be made into drawers.  I watched an entire episode of Harry Potter while I was doing it.

 Here is Taylor with the first cabinet.  Each drawer slide must be installed.  Taylor added the drawer pulls.


 Here is an assembled unit.  The are durable and can take the abuse of cutting tools and spilled chemicals.

There!  All three are done.  I'll take them downstairs and maybe tomorrow we can put them in place and start filling them up.  I also bought another shelving unit today for the corner.  That should do it.

2 comments:

  1. Scott, I've been reading with interest the progress you've been making. The new drawers from Ikea do they have a particular 'name' as everything in Ikea seems to have. I'd like to take a look in my local store as they look to be a great addition to a tidy workspace.

    The weather seems to be working in your favour lately with the snow falls. We'd love to have a little bit of that out here as at the moment it's about 83F I think, and summer is just beginning (Brisbane, Australia)

    I enjoy your updates, especially the planned way you approach your task, something I could most definitely learn a bit more about for myself!

    So when you have a minute, the name of the drawers would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My apologies Geoff...I pride myself on telling people about things I buy and I forgot in this case. I've posted info on the shelves!

    http://modelrailroadersnotebook.blogspot.com/2010/12/new-workshop-part-11-addendum.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!