Saturday, December 10, 2011

Thayne's Layout - The Dimensions

In order to begin drawing you have to get the dimensions of the room.  You would be AMAZED at how many people can't measure a room...so I always do it myself.  Thayne and I did the measurements together and I graphed it on quadrille paper using a ruler.

Using layers in 3rd Plant It, I drew the WALLS (a layer) and then inserted the WALL MEASUREMENTS.  This way I can turn either layer on or off or make dramatic changes. 

Wall Dimensions - Click to Enlarge

The wall dimensions for this rectangle room are quite easy.  However, they didn't add up.  I always make the room drawing and then go back and check it.

Thayne:  Please enlarge and print this drawing and check the dimensions.  Let me know which measurement is off please.

You'll occasionally see a note to Thayne on the blog.  We are using this to communicate and it works very well.  

Since any dimensional change on this layout is minor concerning walls, I'll go ahead and draw in the benchwork.  I created BENCHWORK layer and a BENCHWORK MEASUREMENTS layer, just like the walls layers.


Benchwork Dimensions - Click to Enlarge

Here you can see the benchwork.  Essentially there is a narrow front entrance and a 30" alley in the middle.  Thayne and I are both big men, and we can pass each other easily.  I figure we can have up to four guys operating the layout, and one dispatcher down in his very nice workshop one floor below.

Thayne: please enlarge and print the drawing and check all the dimensions.  Let me know if any are incorrect.

It is important to label directions when  you are corresponding with the layout owner or other guys on the building team so that you can orient yourself.  The BACK WALL has a sloped ceiling with sky lights on it like you would see in a loft apartment or cabin loft.  This is where VERTICAL dimensions are as important as HORIZONTAL dimensions.  In the top left corner of the drawing you will see a ceiling line detail and something I'm calling a fouling point.  The fouling point, just like with a turnout, is where the ceiling begins to knock the train off the track on a second tier track, one that is higher than the clearance for the train below.  Since we'll have the main going over itself along that wall, the fouling point becomes a no-man's land for high trackage.  Writing this I just realized that I'm going to need a low trackage fouling point.  See!  You ARE helping!!!

The most critical measurements are the entrance way dimensions.  We are going to have to bridge that gap with a lift out type mechanism and the slope of the two aisle sides are NOT the same.  We'll check those again VERY carefully so the drawings are correct.

More on the prototype...

I'm doing a lot of stuff out of order on this layout.  The benchwork is in, the prototype is chosen but the location isn't.  Actually this is quite fun!  I like doing it in what I thought would be out of order, but doesn't really seem to be.

I really like Portland, OR as the city to model.  It is heavy in Union Pacific, has a great Willamette River going through it, and a big yard.  Nice skyline, and a dock area along the river.  Thayne and I were talking water transfer and this might be the idea. 

Here are some links:

Union Pacific yard with a great smoke stack that screams to be modeled
Large mill for grain traffic on the UP line in Portland
Great along-the-wall building and small intermodal yard
Great depot and sign for along the back drop
Portland near East Side...just has to be modeled
Grain dock and elevator with ship in Portland
2nd Avenue Switching trackage - very nice to model
Railroad yards and river in Portland
The perfect bridge for this layout

Lot's of good modeling ideas here!

Enough for tonight...got to fly out early in the morning!



Thayne:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!