Wednesday, February 19, 2014

119 The Navajo Mining Railway - Wiseman 18' Flatcar Assembly #3

Let's finish up the car.  I'm running out of daylight and the turkey in the oven smells yummy!


Wedging the car in the cradle, I carefully, and without photos or instructions, mount the brake wheel.  I hate this kit.


I have to drill out the holes for the stanchion, but the hand wheel's hole is too big.  Unfortunately I don't have any other brass wire that will work.  Next time I'm at the hobby shop I need a supply of brass and plastic rods.


The chain is a type of flexible plastic.  I'm not sure it will work, but at this point I just want the car done, so I glue it on.


Everything is assembled and ready to go to the paint shop.  I wash the parts and let them dry while I set up the booth.


We're using Floquil Oxide Red as it works well on resin.


I put several light coats on the model and the trucks, but it is not covering well.  I'll let it dry and give her another coat tomorrow.


The depot only needs a smoke stack around back and signs for the town, plus some figures.  I tried to find a good stack, but can't, so I ordered one from Caboose Hobbies.  They were out of them, and the hinges I need for another project.  Parts just get harder and harder to get.  Oh well...off to dinner.

2 comments:

  1. Is everything OK? Haven't seen a post in days. I really missing following along. Let us hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your painting booth - I need something like that. I use a foam cradle similar to yours. It makes life so much easier when you don't have enough hands! Great blog you have here. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!