I have to finish this tonight. Its about 9:00 pm. We are going to get this done so I can build the depot this weekend.
We get out the coffee stirrer sticks and start distressing them with the saw blade. Sorry about the backdrop, as I'm still trying to flatten the FSM kit instructions.
Distressed on both sides and ready to be chopped.
I'll not bore you with the details. I set up the Caliber Cutter and chopped up the sticks I distressed. Now, thankfully, I still have the same bottle of dye I used before, so we hope the shakes will come out looking the same. Dye! Dye! Dye!
The wet mess of dye and wood is stirred and dried.
We want to finish tonight, so to speed up drying I sorted out the shakes on a plate and put the light down close to dry them out. DO NOT LEAVE THE AREA when doing this as the lamp gets hot and the wood is coated with alcohol.
They are almost dry now, in about 10 minutes, so let's add the old ones to the new ones. Wow! They match perfectly! So lucky today.
Shaking the roof, one at a time with Elmer's glue. Crocodiles 1, People 0 at the half. Not good to wade in to measure a 13 foot croc.
At the home stretch, its Shakey in the lead followed closely by Shake-N-Bake. I did get the last row a bit off, but so are the prototype roof lines.
In record time, and with having to make more shakes, I'm done. This roof panel took about two hours tonight to do.
I'll need the rest of the shakes for the roof peak, so we'll mark the plastic bag and put these away for safe keeping for Saturday or Sunday.
Laying the two panels down, they look pretty good. The color difference you see is because of the photo and light, and they really look identical.
Here I pitched up the roof and I'm very happy with the results. I'll give it an ink wash later to blend it all together a bit more.
Thanks for working on the roof with me! The crocodile never did eat a person...but came close. He turned out to be 16 feet long and 4 feet wide.