Saturday, February 8, 2014

108 The Navajo Mining Railway - Depot Roof Detail

Today we'll finish up the shakes on the roof peak.


I have shakes left from the roof for this.  What we are going to do is cover the peak of the roof, where there is a gap.  Don't want passengers getting wet now, do we?


The adhesive department of Scott's Shop is very busy.  Sometimes I wonder if I really need all this.  Usually the little bottle of Elmer's is what I use the most.


The peak shakes are layer like this.  Each pair is lapped over itself, covering the edge of the other, and laying on the two previous shakes.  The overlap is altered with each pair, left and right.


I use a thick blob of glue, something I seldom do, as it helps to hold the shake and keep it from sliding, while providing some filler.


The slide left to ride due to the overlap.


The process goes slowly as the shakes are hard to keep in place.  They like to move around.


There!  Somewhat resembling a razorback hog, but they are done.  I'll probably use scale lumber that is much thinner for the next model, and cut the shakes a little longer.  This is one of those times when prototype practice and precise measurements don't make for a model that appears correct.


Now, all I need to do is to give it some white high-lights and a flat coat of clear to protect it.

1 comment:

  1. Another old method for the peak of the roof is something called "Windrows". You would simply add one more row to one side allowing it to extend up over the peak. I think your style is great, just offering one more option for others to consider. I don't know when this style went out, but it was fairly common at least through the 1860's. Thanks for keeping at the blog. I look forward to it every day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!