Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Day 10 of 180 Days of A/P Cars - #1 Flat Car - New Tools

The lumber that I'm going to need is not standard.  So after many years of wanting one I discuss the matter of purchasing a mini table saw with my wife.  She said she was fine with it as we have money coming back from the IRS and that I should go buy one.  YEAH!  I love my wife!  We're talking $400 for a saw and parts.




The saw I chose is Micro Mark's MicroLux Mini Tilt Arbor Table Saw for Benchtop Hobby Use.
This is a popular saw and the same as the Proxxon version.  While I could have bought others I like the fact that Micro Mark gives me a 30 day guarantee so that I can return it if I don't like it.  The guys on the Traintools egroup give it pretty good review.  


I also bought these items....


This is a set of ripping gauges that help you set up the cut.  Since they are in common sizes good for O scale I went ahead and got them.


These blank plates allow you to make precise cuts of small lumber without the wood slipping into the gap.


Here is what it cost:



ORDER SUMMARY

Order Submitted: 03/13/11 06:53PM
Shipping Method: FEDEX
Payment Method: VISA
Item# Item Description Qty Unit Price Ext. Price
80463MLX TILTING ARBOR SAW 1$349.95
$349.95
70224RIPPING GAUGE SET 1$18.95
$18.95
84904MLX BLANK BLADE PLATES (4) 1$23.50
$23.50
Bill To: SCOTT PERRY Ship To: SCOTT PERRY
2142 DEBEERS DR 2142 DEBEERS DR
SANDY, UT 84093
USA
SANDY, UT 84093
84093
Sub Total $392.40
Shipping & Handling $21.95
Tax $0.00
Total $414.35
 





I've been wanting one of these for a long time.  After I bought the wood for my O scale bridge (over $200!) I thought that this would pay itself back in two years or less.  I'm so glad to be getting one!

This may delay the start of building the flat car a few days, so I may jump ahead to the gondola and proceed to start setting it up for production.

Home made scale timber, here I com!



1 comment:

  1. Scott,

    I'm glad to see that you got the saw - I think that you'll be happy with it - just keep your fingers clear!

    Rick

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!