Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Scotty Mason Sleep Show

I listened again to the Scotty Mason show this morning. When I woke up I realized that it is probably never going to get any better. My basic assumption is that most model railroaders are not broadcast jockeys. There is a reason why radio show hosts make a lot of money. They have a style and energy that carries the show.

Guys like Dave Frary are fantastic model railroaders, incredibly knowledgeable in the hobby and fun to chat with over a beer. They are NOT broadcasters.

The show is dull and boring with amateurish yuck yuck jokes. They read Model Railroader and summarize what they read. Oh, the agony! Is the idea for a podcast model train show a good idea? Oh yes, I think so. Scotty just has the wrong dynamic going.

Want to try it for yourself? http://www.modelrailroadpodcast.com/. Come back and post a comment when you wake up.


1 comment:

  1. I agree. There is also a lot of background noise, doors slamming, dogs barking and chairs creaking (Dave's).

    I do get one or two usable bits of info from the show. These are mostly from Dave or whom ever Scotty is interviewing.

    As a TV producer told me once, "Its easy to get your friends to laugh. An audience is something entirely different"

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!