Friday, November 26, 2010

The New Workshop - Part 3

After working all day in the garage trying to get my workbenches and construction tools sorted out and put away, I finally got some time tonight to work on the train shop again.  Glass of sweet tea in hand (can't hardly get it out here in Utah so I have to make it myself) I headed down to the shop.

 The big problem with trying to unpack and put away the garage is that I keep finding boxes labeled for the train room.  Found three more today!  Crap.  Where am I going to put all this stuff?  A quick trip to the Wally-Mart allowed me to bring home 30 Sterilite brand clear plastic shoeboxes at $0.97 each, and 10 double size shoe boxes for $2.50 each.  While this isn't my favorite brand it is cheap and will last a long while before cracking.

 I've had to move one module (the big one) from the Dixie Central layout back into the room because it was blocking the hall.  Now it is blocking the room. 

 I unpacked and cleaned up the shelving unit that I will use in the corner for storing the shoe boxes.  It is not as sturdy as my big steel shelves, but it is smaller and will have to do.

 Gradually I'll open each box and start putting things into the boxes.  Each will be clearly labeled with a 2x4 inch white label and Sharpee ink.  Then when I'm done I'll sort them into functional areas like "tools" and "supplies".

 I made sure to get boxes that interlock.  That way they stay stacked when my clumsy butt knocks them over.

 The tops and bottoms nest into each other as seen in the photo.

 Glue and chemicals are stored on the very top in open containers so that I can keep them upright.

 The more I unpack the more cluttered the desks get.  Wait...I'm trying to unclutter them!

Professional movers make $8.00 per hour.  So needless to say my small parts bins were packed sideways and the parts fell out.  My tool boxes were also packed sideways and were a mess.  

I unpacked three boxes that were 4 feet high and this is all that I got on the shelf.  Crap!  Where am I going to put all this stuff?

1 comment:

  1. Nice organization so far! I don't think there are many of us model railroaders that aren't at least part hoarder :-) There is never enough room for our trains or our collected bits of flotsam and jetsam.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!