Sunday, February 10, 2019

Pop's General Store by KCs Workshop - Build With HO Scale Customs - #001


On Monday Feb 10, 2019 I'm going to participate in the group live build of KC's Workshop's Pop's General Store kit.  What fun this is going to be!  If you haven't heard about it, go to HO Scale Customs to find out more and subscribe to their podcast while you are there.

I received the kit about two weeks ago.  It came carefully packed.  I've intentionally not opened it until the day before the live build, but wanted to do some prep work today.

The kit was designed with this live build in mine and it even says so on the front of the box.  It is a kit for beginner to expert.

I ordered some detail casting for the front of the model from BEST Castings when I found out that nothing was included in the kit.  Here we have chairs, crates, soda machines, Coke button signs and ice makers.

The front has two tiny pictures and a story about how the kit came about.

 The items in the kit are safely packaged with foam.

 There are several sheets of instructions folded up in the kit, which also adds for some padding.

 This is your typical craftsman kit with laser cut parts, wood, and injection molded windows. 

Normally my first step is to get familiar with the components and to check them against the list of parts to see if anything is missing.  I'm also checking for damaged/broken pieces.  This kit does not come with a parts list.  All of the parts are well cut, and nothing is warped or damaged.  Very nice!

 There are many other parts as well such as corrugated metal for a roof, signs and roof shingles.

 All of the instructions were folded up in the small box so the first thing to do is to get them out and fold them in the reverse manner to help flatten them out.

 I immediately hang them up to help flatten them, or place them under a sheet of plate class.

These instructions didn't come numbered and often I work out of order.  I want to be able to put the instructions back in the original order, so I numbered all the pages.

I always make a back up copy of the instructions.  I can't tell you how many times I've lost them or poured something all over them or threw them out by accident.  I may print these out again on a printer because they are so heavily folded.  Its hard to fool with them when you have glue or paint on your fingers. 

I can't wait to get started!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!