Sunday, February 3, 2019

Old Southern Buildings Photo Shoot #1

Today was an unusually warm winter day so I decided to grab the camera and go photograph old buildings that I can turn into models.  It was a little overcast, but I wasn't going to waste a warm day!

This old building is in Clover, SC.  The building needs some work.  The gutter is hanging off, and there are some nice rusty spots.  Mostly I was looking at the wood boards on the front.

The corner board is pretty flaked, and the boards on the lower front of the building are moving toward the street.

Here is a closeup of the boards breaking, bending, warping and flaking.  I'll replicate this on a model sometimg.

I'm also looking at how painted signs weather.  Fading them is quite an art on a model.

This old brick business building shows blocked out windows and an out of use dock.

While the roll up doors look very new, the detail of the brick including the patched section give me some great ideas.

This business has been around a long time and is built out of stone blocks, not concrete.

I thought it was concrete block but when you get close to it you can see that it is stone.  The electrical meters are on the front of the building for all to see.

The aluminum awnings are common here in the South and they weather and rust nicely.  Almost every old building I saw today was white with green trim.

Old Coca Cola signs are everywhere in old Southern towns.  This one was repainted in 1993 and has faded again.

This little store just screams to be modeled.  It must have been a general store of some kind many years ago.  I took a bunch of detail shots of it.


The boards have great character and the droopy front awning and sign board are heavily worn.  

Here is a detail shot of the underside of the awning

These corrugated aluminum sheds are quite common in South Carolina.  They are VERY shiny and really stand out.
 
This roof is made of metal shingles and really has an unusual look.

The rust pattern is wonderful and I've not seen one like this so I'll file it away for a future project.

Most of my day was spent looking for pealing paint for a model I'm working on called Wicked Wanda's by Bar Mills.

Another great old store!  I love the sign board top on this one and the inset from door.  

I was looking for a Coca Cola button sign and here it is!  The other side of it fell off.

Coca Cola signs were everywhere at one time.  Here McGill's Store has one painted for them by Coke.

Our winner of the Fixer Up Category is this little gem that I barely saw while driving by.  I had to turn around for this one!  All of the exterior and interior boards were exposed plus a great rusty room.  Sorry the photo isn't great but the trees have grown up around (and through) the building.


The chimney was in great shape and you get a good view of how the outside of the structure was built.

The diagonal bracing on this building is very interesting but hard to see.  Click on the picture to enlarge.

I took a photo of this one for its interesting doors.

I love this small barn!  All the sides are made with diagonal boards!

Its roof is in good shape but many of the boards are breaking or falling off.

This would make a fun model in its current state.

This is an old power plant, probably for a local cotton mill no longer in existence.  The cooling pond is in front.

Always looking for rust!  Here is a corrugated metal sided building with some moderate rusting and a great faded sign.

The streaks along the side look great!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!