Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Book Review - North Georgia's Two Shortline Railroads by Wilds Lovick Pierce II

 

Overall Rating - Four out of Five Stars

As most folks know I'm a huge fan of the Georgia Northeastern Railroad. I grew up near the Hook 'n Eye Division and have been watching trains on the line all my life. My computer is full of photos, copies of switch lists, and notes about the line. When I saw that Wilds had written the book I bought a copy as fast as I could! It arrived this morning.

The book is full of great photos, from the earliest of days to just before the sale to Patriot Rail. There are photos of most all the depots in various states along with many photos of the people related to the railroad. Actual locomotive shots are a bit short and disapointing. I would have thought that it would have included almost every one of the GNRR locomotives since the photos are easy to come by.

There is a wealth of information on both the GNRR and the Blue Ridge Scenic Railway. More than enough to build a model railroad featuring these two short lines, should you be so inclined. There is information on railroad customers, and track maps. I especially liked the section on building the engine house in Tate, and rebuilding the Tate depot. There are so many great tidbits of information!

The quality of the book was disapointing. It is a paper back edition, and the paper it is printed on is very low quality. The photos didn't reproduce in its pages as nicely as I would have like them too. The GNRR is know for its brilliant red engines, and capturing that color would have been important to me.

This is definately a must for a GNRR or BRSR fan! I'd highly encourage you to get a copy. Its nice to have all the information in one place.

You can purchase a copy here North Georgias Two Shortline Railroads

This is an indendent review and I purchased the book on my own. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!