Monday, March 26, 2012

0043 On30 Wasatch & Jordan Valley RR - Prep to Make Sawdust!

Want to build a REALLY large temple?  You need a LOT of rock!  I spent the day with my family touring the Temple Square and looking at the structure up close.  I've also seen models of it and took pictures of the tourist center where they had a display about the construction.  Its all fascinating!

Scott Perry photo taken from the Garden Restaurant

The Temple foundation will be the first thing you see when you walk in the basement door, and since it is a sectional that is bolted to the wall, we'll build it first.  Off to the garage!

 First we'll dig out the camera and the tripod.  I plan to keep you informed with words and pix the whole way as usual!

 I buzzed down to the local Home Depot and picked up a sheet of 1/4 sanded plywood and a sheet of 3/16 hardboard.  The plywood is for the top of the modules and roadbed.  The hardboard is for the backdrops.

 The boards are cut horizontally at the 2 foot mark to make them easier to carry.

 I'm keeping my camera in a trash compactor bag (small and very thick) to help keep the sawdust off of it.

 We have print outs of the drawings which we'll need for cutting.

 While setting up I found this.  My house has a legacy broken electrical plug that I forgot to repair.  Before we start, we must fix this issue as it is a fire and shock hazard!

 In the garage I keep a box of grounded outlets for just such emergencies.  We'll have this in in five minutes if my wife doesn't come out and stir up trouble.

 Here is the outlet that I removed.  Looks like someone had force something into the plug.  Must have hurt!  This surely is a fire and safety hazard.

 The new outlet is installed, the face place cleaned and straightened, and all is tested and working fine.  Yes, the wife came out complaining because I turned off the electricity for five minutes and she couldn't see how to eat her peanut butter sandwich.  Model railroading is MUCH easier and quieter if you are single.

 I stowed away the sheets of plywood and hardboard and cleared the floor of kids' toys so that I can walk safely.  The children are either napping or skating, so I've got the place to myself.

Lastly I hooked up the vacuum to the saw to help keep the dust under control.  Trying to breathe sawdust is not very healthy for me.

Wizdom:
1.  Take care of safety issues first!  Always patrol your area and look for dangerous or potentially dangerous situations and make repairs/corrections immediately!
2.  Make sure the floor is clear of obstacles and debris.
3.  Use a vacuum to help keep the dust out of the area

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!