Sunday, January 16, 2011

Bull Chute Part 6 - Completion

The Bull Chute diorama has had several days to dry.  I made a mess of the weeds (modeling in a hurry NEVER works) so I did a little repair work before I got started.

Using a pair of fine tipped tweezers I removed strands of long weeds that I had glued on.  One of the big problems I've had is getting the weeds to stand up straight.  If you have ideas, I'm all ears.  Probably I'm cutting them too long.  After I weed-eated the diorama, I got out the Tacky Glue and tried again.  The thicker glue and shorter weeds made it look better, but I'm still not happy with the results.

 Using Woodland Scenics Clump Foliage Dark Green I glued some shrubs to the areas where the grass and ground didn't stick.  My whole philosophy of modeling can be summed up like this:

"It's not the modeler's skill at building that makes him good, but his ability to cover up mistakes."
- Scott Perry
 Next I'll add some light green ground foam and some twigs found in the yard.  The track, like the Bull Chute, is abandoned so I put some green on the track as well.  After that I dusted the area with fine green grass to help blend the scenic elements. 

 We'll set the diorama aside to dry for 6 hours.  The thick glue will need that.  After waiting I did one last touch up of anything that didn't stick when I turned the whole diorama upside down.  Looking good.  More dry time.

 Here the glue is still drying, but it is looking good.  In reality the chute would need more weathering, but since I want it clearly visible for the class, I left it alone.

 Just another shot.

 Here is our finished project. 

And another shot.  This is fun!  Soon I'll finish the clinic slide show and post it here for you to use at your NMRA Division meeting!  Hands on clinics are the best way to learn!

1 comment:

  1. Scott,

    Very, very nice! I used to work on a cattle farm and the one thing that I remember was that it always seems that the cattle liked to "do their business" while going up the ramp. This lead to a darkening of the ramp and obivious build up of sh## along the borders of the ramp.

    And that's no bull!!! :-)
    Rick

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!