Saturday, May 5, 2012

027 The Utah Night Shift - The Dollars are in the Details

The NMRA's Achievement Program does have a price tag.  Nobody ever talks about it, but there is a cost.

I was very happy to get a box in the mail from Proto:87 Stores...

 Here is the box that my turnout parts came in.  Let's take a look and see what is inside.

 For $34 I got most of the parts I'd need for building a very highly detailed turnout.  Granted I can't use the frog or get scratchbuilding points with this...but that was not my intent.  The purpose is to look at the parts, see what I can use to superdetail with, and I'll use the others as templates for scratchbuilding.

 Wow!  The box is empty!  All except for some very small bags...it is nothing but packing!

 There are several small plastic zip pouches, so let's dig them out.  All together they weigh a fraction of an ounce.

 The sheet gives a list of the parts, which is essentially a kit for building a turnout, and then a super detail kit and a points kit.  Here is the order:

1.  Turnout Super Super-Detail set SWDET2  $2.49 each
2.  Precision milled spikes 250 short SPK  $2.95
3.  Ulitmate HO #6 Turnout kit USKH6  $24.95

 This is 250 stainless steel scale spikes.  The whole set fits on my thumb.  Wow...they are tiny!

 Turnout details...

 Here's a close up of the spikes.  Not really sure how to get them off...

 Points for the turnout.

 More detail parts...

 Here is the frog assembly.

 Crossties of course.

And the rail!  Sometime here in the near future we'll give it a go!

LOL...if nothing else, it scared my buddy Bench Mark!  He sent me an email this morning that he'll be ready for Civil evaluation in 2 weeks...I told him that I was going to beat him to the punch!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!